Notice and Agenda of Annual General Meeting of Members
Monday November 12, 2018
8:30 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
NOTICE, is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting (herein referred to as “AGM”) of the Black Female Lawyers Network (herein referred to as the “Corporation” or “BFLN”), is called for, as per the By-laws of the Corporation and By-laws of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, S.C 2009. The AGM will be held on Monday, November 12, 2018 at St. James Cathedral Centre, 106 King St E, Toronto, ON M5C 2E9, for the following purposes:
- Election/Appointment of meeting Chairperson
- Ratification of business transacted by the Board up to November 11, 2018
- Committee Reports
- Review the financial statements and reports for the financial year end, December 31, 2017
- Waiving the appointment of a public accountant for the ensuing year
- Election of Director(s) for the following vacancies as designated by the number beside each position***
- Director at Large (1)
- Review and vote for changes to the BFLN’s By-laws: (a) Re-defining the definition of “member(s)” and who can be a voting member- Section 2 of the By-laws, (b) re-defining the definition of legal professional)
- Announcement of Election Results
- Closing of AGM
*The financial statements and accompanying documents as required by the Corporation’s By-law 1.8 will be sent to all BFLN members 21 clear days in advance of the AGM for review. Members are invited to comment on the financial statements during the AGM.
**Members of the Corporation are required to submit any proposals in advance of the AGM, as per BFLN By-law 2.9. BFLN will publish these proposals to members in advance of the AGM if received by Monday, November 5, 2018.
***Members of the Corporation may include nominations for Director positions, with signatures of at minimum, 5% of voting members to be present at the AGM. Director nominations can include the following information:
- Consent of the nominees (signatures)
- Nominee’s bio (250 words or less)
- Nominee form: Please download the 2018 AGM Directors Nominee Form that is attached with this Notice. Nominee signatures will be collected during the AGM.
Please ensure that you have paid the Corporation’s membership fee as of October 21, 2018 to ensure that you are eligible to vote at the AGM.
If you choose to attend the AGM, you must confirm attendance at the annual retreat and RSVP by no later than 5:00 pm EDT on Thursday November 8, 2018 by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you choose to decline attending the AGM we ask that you appoint a proxy instead (as per BFLN By-law 2.16), please send an e-mail to: email@example.com, with the attached proxy form, clearly filling in the required information for your proxy. You may also complete and return the proxy appointing form through your proxy the day of the AGM.
Please note that only a paid member as of October 21, 2018 or a proxy of a paid member will be entitled to vote at the AGM.
ATTENDANCE AND VOTING RULES
Please review the following guidelines carefully:
Proof of membership is required at the meeting. Please bring a photo ID or a business card showing your full name, address, and the business you are affiliated with for meeting registration the day of the meeting. Please note that no person in attendance shall have more than one vote. All questions or resolutions are decided by a majority vote. For equality votes, the meeting chair cannot vote. If you are unable to attend in person and wish to appoint a person to vote on your behalf, please complete the attached proxy form in advance of the AGM.